BRAISED BBQ BEEF RIBSTexas Roadhouse Recipe
1 pound onions, diced
2 large jalapeño peppers, sliced
3 garlic cloves, mashed
3 (12 oz.) bottles beer
kosher salt and pepper to taste
5 pounds beef back ribs
Beefy BBQ Sauce as needed (recipe follows)
1. Score the membrane on the back of the ribs with a sharp serrated knife or use the edge of a spoon pull enough of the membrane away form the rack to grab with a paper towel and remove.
2. Season liberally with kosher salt and pepper. Set Aside.
3. In a dutch oven, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil or butter and sauté the onion garlic and jalapeño until the onions are slightly browned
4. Remove form heat and place the seasoned ribs meaty side up in the dutch oven, place the dutch oven into a preheated 400F oven and brown the ribs for about 15 minutes, remove
5. Carefully add the beer, flip the ribs over to expose the bone side, add additional water to just cover the meat, put a tight fitting lid on and return to 300F oven for about an hour until the meat is tender.
6. Pull the ribs out of the dutch oven and set aside on a sheet tray. Carefully strain and defat the braising liquid, set aside for BBQ sauce.
7. Finish on grill, baste both sides repeatedly with theBeefy BBQ sauce making sure not to char the exterior. Turn frequently basting every time.
Beefy BBQ Sauce:
1. Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the dutch oven and add 2 tablespoons flour to create a roux
2. Stir the roux until well mixed and do not brown. Slowly add the braising liquid stirring constantly
3. Bring the mixture to a low boil and allow to thicken slightly
4. Add 2-3 cups of BBQ and allow to come to a low boil, remove from heat
5. Salt and pepper to taste